Saturday, August 1, 2009

TRAMKOK!

Here is my address:
Kealan Waldron
Peace Corps
PO Box 2453
Phnom Penh 3
Cambodia

Today was our first day off from training and it couldn’t have come at a better time. We are all so tired and we all really missed each other, so we met up at the Tela this morning. I slept in until 7:15 and walked into town and met everyone at the Tela, which is probably the equivalent to a regular gas station or 7-11 in the U.S. Our day is going to consist of walking around town and hanging out. Peace Corps has done a really good job of keeping us busy, so a free day is just what we needed.
Not too much crazy stuff has happened since my last post, so I thought that I would share some general observations and stories. First, my sisters are probably the cutest girls in the world and my cousins are just as much fun. The four girls and two boys are always waiting for me to do something “American” and sometimes try to mimic me. For instance, I wear headbands a lot because it is so damn hot and humid here. One day I was wearing one and my cousin ran home and tied a towel around her head to look like me. I gave all 4 of them headbands and there hasn’t been a time that they aren’t on their heads. Another funny one- I was eating dinner with my parents and they pointed to a dish that had some meat in it. I try to avoid the meat because they don’t take the bones out and it is awkward when I bite into one. So, they put some on my plate and pointed to it and told me to eat in Khmer and told me that it was monkey. Now, I am open to eating different things (I tried ants the other night) but monkey is where I draw the line. They saw my face and repeated monkey a few times and when I didn’t budge, they acted out a chicken. Thank goodness it was NOT a monkey but instead chicken because that would have gotten real weird real quick.
Some general differences in Cambodia:-Eating: I eat with my mom and dad for lunch and dinner while the girls...

This blog does not reflect the opinions or thoughts of the Peace Corps or the US government. It reflects my thoughts and opnions only.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Kea,
We love reading your blog. I had some catching up to do as I had not read since the first one. Sounds like all is going well for you. I am super impressed with how well it sounds like you are adjusting. Continue to be good...and safe!
Col and Clay

Colleen said...

P.S. Is there anything you need that we can send?? I would be happy to send some headbands over for you and your fam.

COL

Unknown said...

Keeks...

I have been reading all of your blogs, and your family seems so unreal! I love how they try to catch you doing "American" things. I can definitely picture that, haha. If you need anything, let me know. I was going to start sending you some letters :). I have so much to tell you, I don't even know where to begin! Your adventures seem so FUN!! I miss you a lot and hope to hear from you soon.

P.s. HOW DID ANTS TASTE!!!! I think the only way I could eat insects is if they are covered in chocolate :) haha.