Friday, August 7, 2009

My first trip to a.....

Hi everyone. Sorry that the last post got messed up, not sure how that happened with that and this is the first time that I have been back to the internet cafe in town. I will try to pick up where I left off in Tramkak...
First of all, I love all of the comments and I feel horrible that I cannot respond as I wish I could. I hope you all understand how little time I actually have. We are also trying to indulge ourselves in the culture and the internet is not a huge part of their culture like it is in America. Plus the computers totally suck.
We went into the provincial town in Takeo for a seminar day. It was the first time that we were all able to get together, so it is a really good time. Our 2 days there consisted of more cultural lessons, health seminars, etc. So that night we decided to go out to dinner as a big group. The boys went to this restaurant across the street from our guest house and we met up with them. They were raving about how great the service was and the girls are used to it because men are typically treated better. It wasn’t until we noticed their clothes and when the boys told us that they were getting massages that we put two and two together and realized that we were at a brothel. One of the volunteers told us what to look out for so we don’t end up in another one. No wonder the food did not taste good; they weren’t cooks.
One of my favorite stories is that I wear a lot of headbands because it is so damn hot and my hair has a mind of its own with this humidity. My host cousin brought a towel from her house and tied it around her head to look like me, which was adorable. I gave my host sisters and my host cousin one headband each and I have not seen them without them since that day. They are the most enjoyable part of the experience.
Peace Corps intentionally makes training really busy, but we are all getting a little burnt out. We study Khmer from 7:30 til 11:30 and eat lunch right after. Our bikes are not the best, so I usually walk into town at 12:30 and we have culture lessons from 1:00-5:00 and we have to be home immediately after that. One day in particular, I was getting really frustrated with the set up and language. My host sister, who is 3 (I think), was really scared of me and whenever I tried to talk to her, she would run away. Well, this one really bad day I turned into the path to my host family’s house and my town littlest host sisters ran up to meet me, like they always do. But that day, my littlest sister grabbed my hand and held it all the way back to the house. It was so subtle, but it made me feel so much better.
Tomorrow, we are taking a field trip to Phnom Da. There are 5 different locations and group of us signed up for this one because it is an hour boat trip to the town. I am really excited to see another part of the country. Next week is going to be nuts, we are taking a 3 day field trip to see other Peace Corps volunteers who have been in Cambodia for a year already. It will be really great to see what life will be like.
As for the language, it hit me the other day how much respect I have for my language and culture facilitators (LCFs) because going from Khmer to English is so difficult. Khmer is so simple, it made me realize just how complicated English is. For instance, directly translating “I am mad at you” to Khmer is “I mad you”. They also have some words that have so many meanings. “Nom” is the word for any cake- rice cakes, donuts, banana chips, etc. We have a word for everything. They have spent so many years learning English and they decided to stay in Cambodia. They could have easily left and gone to another country, but they decided to stay here and try to make a difference. One LCF, Dara, learned both English and Thai in a refugee camp during the Khmer Rouge period. Thai is more complicated than English, he says. It really makes me have so much respect for them, because they worked so hard to learn English and most are teachers, and teachers make so little money here.
As for things to send to me, I would really appreciate just letters in general. I will be able to write more letters because it doesn’t require internet to respond. Unless you can send a deep dish pizza, there is not much that I really need or want. That also may change.

Please keep the comments coming! I love reading them although I do not have time to respond!

This blog does not reflect the opinion of the U.S. government or the Peace Corps. This blog reflects my opnions alone.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Peace Corps training is one of the best in the world. You will be ready for your assignment and will fall back on it. I sent you some headbands and some others that you requested so let me know if you get the letters and package so I can send more knowing that you are getting them. Everyone is good-we miss you so much but take comfort that you are in a great program with a loving family. Love you!!

Unknown said...

That is too funny about the brothel-that happened to my co-workers in China about 10 years ago...it took them awhile to figure it out..they were cracking up when they figured it out.

The boat trip will be beautiful! It will be so peaceful and you will get to spend time with the other volunteers which will be fun. Meeting the K2 group will be great because they were where you are 1 year ago-so they will have some good survival tips.:)

PierreGlendinning said...

Kealan, Vinny sent you a text today. "Party at the old rugby house tonight, 145 seton place. 10pm". So, in case you are interested. -Pat

Unknown said...

Keeks! I'm glad to hear that you are doing well!! I miss you and I often think about what you are doing when I am searching for jobs!!! HAHA I am trying my best to keep up with the blog and it seems like you are doing well!! Love and miss you roomie!!

Unknown said...

i still can't really believe that you are in cambodia. i read your posts and part of me thinks youre at the boo throwing back beers with gary and are just really inventive with all your little "tales." im starting to get anxious about leaving and nervous but your blog eases my mind a little...i try to remember that youre enjoying your third world experience so there is hope. well i love you kea and miss you. i keep wanting to call you to hang out but obviously that's not an option until... 2011. keep on keeping on

Anonymous said...

everytime im bored i turn to ur post and u have a new update! love it keeks =) miss you dear