Friday, September 17, 2010

From Cambodia....

Hi everyone!!

Sorry it has been a really long time since my last post, but I have very legit excuses. 
1. My parents came to visit and we had a really awesome, fun filled trip.
2. Once my parents left, my computer crashed and is totally out of commision (you served me well, Seton Hall issued laptop...)
3. I threw a health workshop last week at an NGO near my house and at a school about 5k away, in a really poor village.  Huge success (pictures coming later...)

I will work on a better, more fulfilling post, but in the meantime, I wanted to share with you something that means a lot to us Peace Corps volunteers. 

As I was preparing to come to Cambodia, I was given a list of things to bring.  Instead of buying the typical shoes that you may expect a Peace Corps volunteer to wear, I chose to make my everyday shoes my Rainbow sandals, purchased 2 years before I left.  Well, over a year into my service, the shoes that I was positive wouldn't last more than a few months, have held up and I still wear them everyday, regardless of the occassion.  My activities in these shoes include (but are not limited to): climbing mountains to ancient tempels, buying things in the market, teaching, attending weddings and funerals, those rare nights out in PP and just about every Buddhist ceremony I have been invited to.  Likewise, my host sister LOVES them and when I'm not wearing them, she most likely is.  It has been a great bonding experience.  Well, I realized just how appreciative I am to Rainbows and sent an email explaining just how much a reliable yet fashionable shoe means to a Peace Corps volunteer.  I checked my email a few days later and had an email from Rainbow sandals, thanking me for the email and moreover, thanking me for my service.  The email stated that they would be sending two new pairs (one for me, one for my sister) free of charge.  I obviously didn't sent the email with that intention, but it really made me happy to get that email, and the shoes.  Below is the link and I think that everyone should seriously consider these shoes (they're so comfortable and clearly a great company...)
http://www.rainbowsandals.com/

No comments: